This criminal terrorist was just allowed to walk away free in Washington State

Photo by Kindel Media from Pexels

There are homegrown terrorists in the U.S., and some of them are also brazen criminals.

It is clear there are two standards of justice in the U.S., and if the cause is politically correct or the perp is in the right group, violent extremists and criminals can get away with nearly anything.

And this criminal terrorist was just allowed to walk away after he just destroyed a power substation, leaving thousands in the dark.

Dangerous criminal set free in Washington

One former Puyallup man who vandalized four local power substations with another co-defendant was recently set free by a District Court Judge.

Matthew Greenwood, 32, pleaded guilty last April to conspiracy to destroy energy facilities after he and another man sabotaged several substations in Pierce County, Washington.

The plan was to disrupt electrical service so the two men could rob bank ATMs and retail stores under the cover of darkness.

As a result, the attack on the substations left over 15,500 customers without power on Christmas Day, December 25, 2022.

Greenwood admitted that he and co-defendant Jeremy Crahan, 40, plotted to sabotage the substations.

Both men were arrested by authorities on New Year’s Day 2023 after they identified the two men as suspects by using cellphone data that showed the duo was in the vicinity of all four substations at the same time.

According to investigators, Greenwood had clothing that matched images of one of the two men based on surveillance videos at the substation sites.

At the time of his arrest, he was also accused of possessing two unregistered firearms including a short-barreled rifle and a short-barreled shotgun.

Greenwood and his cohort cut padlocks and fences so they could enter the Elk Plain substation in Spanaway and the Graham substation in Graham, which are both operated by Tacoma Power.

They also vandalized the Hemlock substation in Puyallup and the Kapowsin substation in Graham, operated by Puget Sound Energy.

The pair manipulated switches and breakers, which caused serious damage in addition to mass power outages, with estimated damage coming close to at least $3 million.

Both men also plotted to topple down trees to take down power lines, but fortunately, they were arrested before that plan was implemented, according to U.S. Attorney for Western Washington Tessa M. Gorman.

The punishment doesn’t fit the crime

Conspiracy to attack energy facilities is punishable by up to 20 years in prison, but Greenwood won’t be serving anywhere near that amount of time.

Chief U.S. District Court Judge David Estudillo of Tacoma agreed that the crimes were “very serious,” but also said Greenwood had made “great progress” toward turning his life around.

As a result, Estudillo ordered Greenwood to complete one year of home detention and three years of supervised probation.

Federal prosecutors also recommended the sentence, saying that it would help the defendant “continue his progress toward a drug-free and law-abiding life,” according to Gorman’s office.

Meanwhile, Crahan “was not successful” at completing a drug treatment program and was sentenced to 18 months in prison.

The case was investigated by the FBI with assistance from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives and other authorities.

Informed American will keep you up-to-date on any developments to this ongoing story.